Monday 27 May 2013

Final exams

After one week without thinking about academic activities, I feel comfortable to talk about it, then I've decided to write a little bit about exams here in Brunel.

First thing I have to say is that it is totally different from exams in Brazil: format, expectations, environment... The biggest difference is the fact that exams here include all the content of the year (while in Brazil it is split into three smaller exams).

Also, here we have too much pressure about this and the environment is so serious that we feel scared for only see the room! To give you an idea about that, we have to leave all our belongings (including even coats) in a specific place in the room, we can only have a bottle of water (label has to be removed) in our desks, besides basic material (pen, pencil, eraser...). The answer book is very similar to those we use in tests to get a public job, in Brazil.

Besides that, the exam structure itself is also much more complex. The questions (at least in my modules) are much more reflexives, rather than direct use of concepts or definitions. We have to apply the knowledge for the whole year to examples, study cases (sometimes previously distributed to us) or problems from real life. I can not gie you an example of this, because I've already forgot everything that occurred in those days! Haha

Another thing which is different is that although all lecturers had explained well what was expected from us in exams, after finishing them I didn't have a clue about how well or not I did. I think this is mainly because these were my first exams in this format and I don't know exactly how they will be assessed or how flexible lecturers are with answers.

I'm not sure that my performance will be as good as I wish it was, but I'm sure that I did my best.

See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello!