Tuesday 15 January 2013

In-sessional English @ Brunel

I've just returned from my first English class on Term 2 and decided to write about In-sessional English at Brunel while my clothes are at the laundry (this makes me write more objectively :). In-sessional courses run every term and are free of charge for all students whose first language isn't English.
I can't say about all of them, but those which I've attended are a mix of lecture and group discussions or activities. Classes are mostly very interactive and have a friendly environment. I've met very nice people through them!





Courses are commonly related to academic skills, but social life is also covered by them. There are courses which embrace writing, grammar, vocabulary, academic discussions and presentation skills and also pronunciation and social conversation. This year they were about five to eight weeks and one to two hours long, depending on the course.
The main point about the in-sessional courses at Brunel University is that they are used to be formulated to cover the most common mistakes students normally commit (at least, this is what two lecturers said to me).  This have a good and a not too good point.
The good thing is that we frequently commit the same mistake most students do, so the course reaches the main errors we are used to make. On the other hand, if you have a very uncommon first language which leads you to totally different mistakes, classes can be less useful (and maybe boring). In this case, it could be really helpful if we read the course descriptions and outcomes.
Last term I've started Academic Grammar with Vocabulary, Academic Listening and Speaking and Pronunciation.
The first of them was very helpful for me, mainly in Vocabulary topics, as even my English is very formal compared with people which learn watching series or films I don't think I write academically enough. It also helps me a lot to understand what lecturers usually expects of us, here in Brunel (some day I can write a post about this).
In Academic Listening and Speaking was very very important to help me with understanding my lectures. I've received many tips about how to "listen actively" and it do improved my listening. The speaking topic, otherwise, was a little disappointment for me, as I had a wrong expectancy about the course. I expected to be talking more than we really do. However, the course was pretty good and I've learned a lot about how express my ideas in an academic context (something I'd never though about).
Unfortunately, I didn't go so far in Pronunciation, as when I've started to write my courseworks, I've noticed that I need a bit more of time to do it. So, to this new term, I re-enrolled myself at Pronunciation in addition to Academic Writing, Academic Discussion Skills and Social Conversation. Even I also have much work to do this term, I do feel like finish all of them. I can't miss the chance of really improve my English while I'm here. This opportunity would never happen again!

See more about Brunel in-sessional English at ILPC website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello!